Lyveden New Bield
 

The Ghosts of Lyveden New Bield

 

You may think that a building that was never finished is unlikely to be haunted. However, with Lyveden, this isn't the case! 

In 2004, site manager Mark Bradshaw reported seeing a bearded man in the first floor bay window. Surprising, as there are no ceilings/upper floors in the property. Perhaps this is Sir Thomas Tresham, still visiting his incomplete house?

 The other area of interest is the 'moated garden', which is said to be haunted by the soldiers of the 43rd Highland Regiment, also known as the Black Watch. There are claims that on dark and stormy nights, you can hear the pipes and drums of the Black Watch being played. 98 of the Highland Regiment were captured by the King's men in 1743, all of whom surrendered without a fight. Only one death of a soldier occurred, and that was from hunger. His body is supposedly at rest in the Water Garden. 

An investigation by another group, Southern Paranormal UK, produced some claims of other spirits around the house. A dark, shadowy figure amongst the tree, a pack of hunting dogs, and a woman in distress in the  kitchen area, who they believed had been attacked by a gang of men. 

Perhaps an investigation by The Ghost Book is needed to find out more! 

The History of Lyveden New Bield

 

Lyveden New Bield is considered to lie in Northamptonshire, despite it's Cambridgeshire postcode. It was built for Sir Thomas Tresham see image, believed to be intended as a 'Secret House'. This was somewhere close to the main residence that could be frequented when the home was being cleaned. As it was built only a mile away from the main Lyveden House, this theory is quite likely.

The building work started in 1604. It boasts many religious aspects to it's design. The layout is reminiscent to a Greek cross, the exterior shows friezes with religious decor as well as other emblems and motifs such as the 'IHS' Christogram (an monogram of Christ)

The following years showed a succession of owners of the estate. At the time of Sir Thomas' death in 1605, his previous wealth was now almost non existent, following years of religious persecution. Building work began to slow. The house was inherited by Thomas' son, Francis Tresham. The estate was then taken on by his son, Lewis Tresham, after Francis became involved in the Gunpowder Plot. Lewis soon spent the rest of the family fortune, and the house was sold in 1643. 

The building was never completed or used as intended, and is now maintained by the National Trust.